ADSM-L

Re: Scheduling Administrative Commands on the Server

1997-11-19 03:47:32
Subject: Re: Scheduling Administrative Commands on the Server
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:47:32 +0000
> Inside of this script I want to run these commands:  (This script basically
> clears my disk pools and then backs up the database )
>
> upd stg diskpool hi=0 lo=0
> upd stg sgipool hi=0 lo=0
> commit (this ensures that the two updates finish before the next command
> gets executed)
> upd stg diskpool hi=95 lo=65
> upd stg sgipool hi=95 lo=65
> backup db dev=8mmdev type=full vol=monday

If your environment is fairly predicable then you could just schedule admin
commands with suitable intervals between them that would normally allow the
task to be completed.  If not, you have to do a bit more work to get things
to run smoothly.  One way is to write a script which would start the command
and then check to see whether it was finished.  At ADSM server version 2
this can be quite interesting.

The good news is that some command will be a lot easier to track with ADSM
server version 3.  Many commands like BACKUP STG, BACKUP DB, MOVE DATA
(there is quite a long list) have a "wait=yes" parameter which would allow a
fairly simple script to execute a series of commands in order.  The output
that you would see logged in the activity log for such commands is also
returned to the caller (so checks could be made).

The bad news is that waiting for migration (and reclamation) is not covered
by this new schema.  The best method I have come up with for handling
migration is to have the script check (say every minute) for the line in the
Q STG pool f=d output:

        Migration in Progress?: No
or      Migration in Progress?: Yes

to determine whether it has finished or not.

There are some other new facilities in V3 which could be utilised :  SQL
queries which would allow you to find out the status of operations.  There
are possibilities for routing messages to either a file or to an event
handle/file exit.  I haven't had enough time to fully investigate all the
new goodies yet to comment better.

[The other bad news is that there are one or two buggettes in some of the
new "wait" code that are not fixed in V3 PTF1 :  APAR 14370 and 14378
(IX/IC?).]

Hope this helps.
Best wishes, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275