ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and the NT Service

1997-11-13 07:55:03
Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 06:55:03 -0600
Beth,

  I agree with the advice of attempting to run the DSMC.exe from a command
  prompt to see if it will display other messages.  I have run into ADSM
complaining about not finding certain files before.  FYI.  The nodename
being unreadable in the registry is not right.  If you had run the dsmcsvci
(I assume you had) it should have been fine.  I have had to manually enter
the the clientnodename correctly before.

Are you on the latest client code? 2.1.0.6g, I think.

Dan T.

----------
> From: Moir,Elizabeth <Elizabeth.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
> From: Moir,Elizabeth <Elizabeth.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
> Date: Wednesday, November 12, 1997 2:25 PM
>
> Here's what I've done so far.
>
> 1.  I pinged VM (that's the alias for our ADSM server) - That worked
okay.
> 2.  I pinged the ADSM server IP address - That worked okay.
> 3.  I  changed the TCPServerAddress in the options file to the full
address
> instead of the alias.  I tried to execute the ADSM Client.  It blipped on
the
> screen and disappeared.
> 4.  I uninstalled the NT Service and tried to execute the ADSM Client.
Same
> blip.
> 5.  I uninstalled the entire ADSM client and reinstalled it.  (Compact
> install, all defaults accepted.)  Tried to execute the ADSM Client.  Same
> blip.
>
> When I look at my ADSM server logs, this node isn't even making it to the
> server.  There's no activity there at all.
>
> At one point when I was just trying to look at the registry entries (via
> dsmcscvi) it showed the clientnodename as being one of those playing card
> unprintables (a spade, I think) which leads me to believe the registry
isn't
> getting updated.
>
> Also, I made sure this person had administrator and backup operator
rights.

> Everything seems to be working except ADSM and I am at a complete loss as
> why.  Does anybody think I should try Version 3.  At this point, I don't.
 My
> instincts tell me this has something to do with NT not ADSM.  I even
> uninstalled my own NT machine and reinstalled it just to make sure
everything
> still worked on my machine.  It did.  We have lots of NT servers using
ADSM,