ADSM-L

Re: adsm 16 vs 32 bit

1997-11-13 07:15:19
Subject: Re: adsm 16 vs 32 bit
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:15:19 +0100
>Does anyone know if it is possible to restore datasets that were backed
>up with a 16 bit ADSM with 32 bit ADSM software?
>
>We ust went through "5" full bare metal restores of a pc and everytime
>after ADSM was finished restoring the datasets, the pc (windows 95
>client) was unbootable. It has been suggested that the client FAT HAD to
>be 16 bit also but that attempt ended in a "dynamic internal error"
>(whatever that was). I'm in the process (2 days) of trying to reproduce
>the problem on another client but it keeps having hard drive problems,
>so even if I DO get it to work, I have my doubts that I could get it to
>work 2 times in a row.
>
>At any rate, one of the variables is the original client was upgraded
>from 16 to 32 bit and like all "deserving" clients that was in September
>even though we automatically start his scheduler every day.....he
>apparently doesn't want to be bothered with typing in his password but
>that's another issue.
>
>--
>

>    Bill Ball
>   Email: WBALL AT KENT DOT EDU
>
>     ()_()   ()*()
>      (_)     (_)
>
>Have a Disney day.

Bill,

Your problem may be the contents of the partition boot sector of the C:
drive. It gets written when a partition is formatted or when an operating
system is installed, and - as it is not part of any file - is not backed up
by ADSM (and - as far as I know - by any other backup software).

This boot sector is loaded during system boot, and the code contained
within gets executed. This code determines, which files from the boot
partition (C:) must be loaded in order to continue booting.

When You have backed up an MS-DOS (or PC-DOS) system, but then have
installed Windows 95, and then try to restore the original DOS system into
the C: partition without reformatting the partition with a DOS version of
FORMAT, Your system will not boot because the boot sector does not fit.

Another restriction that I remember roughly is that there are two or three
files that must be placed physically in the first sectors of the
partition's data area, or DOS will not boot, too.

One thing You may try is to boot Your system from a DOS diskette (same
version as the one You are trying to restore) and execute the SYS command
with appropriate parameters. This will update the partition boot sector and
place those critical system files in their appropriate places.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Social and Economic Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at