ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and the NT Service

1997-11-12 15:25:36
Subject: Re: ADSM and the NT Service
From: "Moir,Elizabeth" <Elizabeth.Moir AT LN.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:25:36 -0600
Here's what I've done so far.

1.  I pinged VM (that's the alias for our ADSM server) - That worked okay.
2.  I pinged the ADSM server IP address - That worked okay.
3.  I  changed the TCPServerAddress in the options file to the full address
instead of the alias.  I tried to execute the ADSM Client.  It blipped on the
screen and disappeared.
4.  I uninstalled the NT Service and tried to execute the ADSM Client.  Same
blip.
5.  I uninstalled the entire ADSM client and reinstalled it.  (Compact
install, all defaults accepted.)  Tried to execute the ADSM Client.  Same
blip.

When I look at my ADSM server logs, this node isn't even making it to the
server.  There's no activity there at all.

At one point when I was just trying to look at the registry entries (via
dsmcscvi) it showed the clientnodename as being one of those playing card
unprintables (a spade, I think) which leads me to believe the registry isn't
getting updated.

Also, I made sure this person had administrator and backup operator rights.

Everything seems to be working except ADSM and I am at a complete loss as to
why.  Does anybody think I should try Version 3.  At this point, I don't.  My
instincts tell me this has something to do with NT not ADSM.  I even
uninstalled my own NT machine and reinstalled it just to make sure everything
still worked on my machine.  It did.  We have lots of NT servers using ADSM,
but only a couple workstations (mine being one of them).  Two of these
workstations won't work.  I'm open to any and all, creative or bizarre ideas.

Thanks.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 11/11/97 09:16:56 AM