ADSM-L

Re: Version 2.1 Level 13 on MVS/OS390 server.

1997-11-11 15:58:00
Subject: Re: Version 2.1 Level 13 on MVS/OS390 server.
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:58:00 -0500
I didn't notice any change in expire inventory speed when going from level
12 to 13.  My db is 4.8 million pages (19 G), and exp inv general runs
between 4 and 8 hours, once a week, when the cpu has plenty of capacity.

The biggest factor for exp inv speed is the size of the database
bufferpool.  I have 32768 in the server options file, which means 32 megs
of buffers or 8192 pages.  Monitor the 'Cahce Hit Pct' in 'q db f=d' to
see if you need more buffers.  Mine is at 98.74%.  The higher the hit
percent, the faster exp inv and other things will go (generally speaking,
your mileage may vary etc...)

I did hear that level 13 has an undocumented enhancement to relieve an
undocumented restriction on the size of the bufferpool.  With level 12 you
couldn't go higher than 64m.  Level 13 now lets you go up to some new
undocumented limit.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.