ADSM-L

Anybody out there using buta from source?

1997-11-07 17:23:31
Subject: Anybody out there using buta from source?
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 17:23:31 -0500
We've been using a version of buta for our AFS backups, which we've built
from source provided by IBM a while ago.  I've merged the butc changes from
the AFS source, for AFS v3.4a-p2.  Our version of buta is built using the
ADSM API 2.1.6.  We're running ADSM v2.1.0.12 on AIX 4.1.

We've been running this version for almost a year now.  Everything has been
fine, until recently...

Lately, restores have been failing intermittently.  I've seen two symptoms,
since I've been investigating the problem.

1) buta crashes with an access violation in the dsmGetData function in the
AFS function  restoreVolume in lwps.c.

2) It also sometimes fails on an rx_Write call, also in restoreVolume.

The buta program also can successfully restore some AFS volumes, but seems to
fail consistently on other AFS volumes.

Is anybody out there still using your own version of buta?
Has anybody been through the exercise of merging new AFS changes with buta,
and run into any of these types of problems?

So far, I haven't really got a clue as to why these problems are occuring.

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu