ADSM-L

Re: Event record deletion failed in ADSM 2.1.0.15 (AIX)

1997-11-07 12:36:44
Subject: Re: Event record deletion failed in ADSM 2.1.0.15 (AIX)
From: David Cannon <cannon AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:36:44 -0500
> It seems that the event deletion has still a bug. It deletes only events
> with a status of "Completed". I set the event record retention period to
> 10 days, but I have events dated from February with a status of "Uncertain".

This is not a bug.  The database maintains several different records related
to schedules, associations, and events.  Event deletion (whether automatic or
command-initiated) only deletes event records, but leaves the other
schedule-related records intact since they are still needed and do not take
up much database space.

Many customers assume that that there is a one-to-one relationhip between events
displayed by the Query Event command and event records in the database.  This
is not the case.  Query Event uses all available records to determine what
events should occur during a specific time frame.  The fact that Query Event
shows
an event does not necessarily mean that there is an event record for that
event.  For
example, Query Event may project future events (wish it would do this for the
stock
market!) even though the event records have not yet been created.  It does this
by
projecting those events using information about schedules and associations.
Similarly,
Query Event may show past events even though the event records have been
deleted.
The "Uncertain" status for these events means that complete information is not
available because the event records no longer exist.

To summarize, please don't try to use the Query Event command to infer what
event
records exist in the database.  The best way to determine whether events records
are getting deleted is to check the message that is issued at the end of the
event-record deletion operation.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development