ADSM-L

ADSM and Legato

1997-11-07 10:40:42
Subject: ADSM and Legato
From: Bradley Wallace <BradleyWallace AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:40:42 -0500
We did a comparison of ADSM, Legato, and Veritas NetBackup a few months
ago.  We already had ADSM, but were checking to see if there was anything
better for us out there.  Things against ADSM were that it wasn't as easy
to administer and it had a lot of overhead.  Things against Legato and
NetBackup were that they weren't as expandable as ADSM.  In other words, it
is possible to grow too large and have to implement a second server.

We decieded to stay with ADSM because of its expandability, variety of
platforms supported, and we already had an investment in the software and
there was no problem supporting our ATL's and different platforms.

If you're running a Sun system, NetBackup seems like a good choice.  If raw
partition backups of data bases like Sybase are important, both Legato and
NetBackup are good choices.  But if you're system environment is growing
fairly rapidly, look carefully at expandability.

        Brad Wallace, UNIX System Admin, The Guardian