ADSM-L

AW: NT permissions of restored directories

1997-11-05 03:57:40
Subject: AW: NT permissions of restored directories
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:57:40 +0100
Terese,
when you share a directory the sharing information is not written to the
shared directory. So when you restore the directory, it won't get shared
automatically.
The fact that sometimes the permissions of a directory get lost during
restore and you "get back" the NT defaults (rights inherited from parent
dir), seems to be a bug in ADSM.
We did some tests and got the result that:
ADSM is able to restore directory permissions sometimes
The permissions of all files get restored correct
ADSM fails when any user or group (that had permission entries on the
directory) does not exist during restore time. This can happen when
users or groups get deleted and the directory permissions don't get
updated (and there's really no need to do so), or when you restore to
another machine that is a member of the same domain but has different
local groups (e.g. server\administrators is different from machine to
machine).

We're going to open a problem record on this topic. In the meantime I
run a tool to weekly dump the acl of all servers to a file (DumpACL from
Somarsoft). So in case directory permissions get lost, at least a manual
"restore" is possible.

Regards,
Michael
--