ADSM-L

ADSM with remote sites

2015-10-04 18:03:48
Subject: ADSM with remote sites
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 11/3/97 9:44PM
I suppose that the reason that you have not received any responses to this
request is that no one has done what you are proposing.  Given your
configuration, I wouldn't recommend it either.

The heart of any client/server based system is its network.  Simply put -
can
the network handle the amount of data the application needs to move.
 Backup
programs are worse than others - as you obviously have figured out.

The design of ADSM V2 is to have the DB and the pools all in the same
location.

The design of ADSM V3 is more robust in this area, but it is somewhat the
reverse of what you are describing - the information I have seen so far
indicates the support for a remote server with no tape robotics - files are
moved through the network from a remote site diskpool to a central site
during off peak times when network traffic is low.

If you think about the relationship of the DB to the end user - this is
where
all of the information about his data is kept.  If it is not at the same
location as he is, then if he wants a restore and the network is down, he
can
not restore.  If his data is local, but the DB is remote, this is even more
frustrating.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    11/3/97 9:44 PM

I have sent this query before, but with no respons so have clarified my
request slightly and reposted.

We are about to implement ADSM in a mixed UNIX (mostly AIX) and NT
environment.  Centrally we plan to use a 3494 with 2 3590 drives on an
RS/6000 R40 Server.  We will be installing version 3.  We also have
remote sites (NT) where large quantities of data are changed on a daily
basis with relatively slow network connections, too slow in fact to
backup this data centrally.

Has anybody any experience in this sort of environment.  We would like
to have tape devices attached to servers in the remote locations to
backup the remote data and keep all the indexes, management and admin
on the central ADSM server.

I would like to be able to physically transport the remote tapes to the
central site to then load this data into a different tape pool in the
3494 library.

I would appreciate hearing of other peoples experiences.

Regards,
 Simon