ADSM-L

Re: question about sgi-client v2r1m6 (fwd)

1997-11-03 03:23:44
Subject: Re: question about sgi-client v2r1m6 (fwd)
From: Zvi Bar-Deroma <zvika AT AESERV.TECHNION.AC DOT IL>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:23:44 +0200
I wish to add a bit to Shlomit's message. I have asked this question
a couple of times in the last few months, both on list and through the
support channels. The answers from ppl. on the list were that they have
been using that client to backup xfs filesystems > 2GB, and done restores
successfully. However, I had no feedbackup as to complete filesystem
restore (some ppl. were not even aware of a problem - rtfm ...).

At some point I had a discussion about the meaning of the readme -
are all xfs filesystems > 2GB unsupported, or only those in which there are
also files that are > 2 GB ?

A second q. was about the meaning of unsupported - sometimes it means -
did not pass regorous testing, sometimes it means - it failed in those
tests.... and there's a big difference...

A third q. (from me) - how about efs filesystems > 2GB (I know, the readme
says nothing about it, but one begins to worry ...).

On list, the IBM "adsmers" were suprisingly quiet on that matter (as we
know they usually give fast, lengthy answers, which usually say more than
the official statements) (or did I miss something ?).

As for the answer through IBM support - well - first they said it's not
supported, second they suggested to wait for V. 3, but no date statement.

I hope we can get more exact answers from you IBMers on that matter,
like we usually get on this list.

Regards,
/Zvika