ADSM-L

Re: Bare metal restore from a CD .....

1997-11-02 22:13:05
Subject: Re: Bare metal restore from a CD .....
From: Daniel Thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:13:05 -0600
Jerry and Michael,

  It seems we are playing around with the same thing.

  Michael, there is a company that sells a zip booter pgm.  It is at
  http://www.blueskyinnovations.com/zppa.html.  DO NOT think that I
  have tested this in any way.  I simply noted it as an interesting pgm
  since I have a ZIP drive at home.  Let us know.

  However, I am currently testing another alternative.  There is a program
  from www.ntinternals.com that allows you to boot a NT machine off of a
  floppy.  This WILL NOT actually run NT, but you then attach a nearby
  machine or laptop to it via the serial port.  "Bare Metal" restores would
  then go like this.
  1) Fix the hardware and partition logical drives as before.  Attach to
recovery
      machine via serial port.
  2) If using a laptop, attach network cable from target machine to laptop
and
      modify TCP/IP (or other protocol) address, default gateway and DNS to
use
      the target machines normal parms.
  3)  Boot the target server from the proprietary OS on floppy.
  4)  Use ADSM on the recovery machine to restore c:\* to the target
machine.

   This sounds simple, but I am waiting on a server to test this software.
The problem that I think I am going to have is this, can I format a logical
drive as NTFS without having to fully install NT?  I am still playing with
this.  Let me know if you
know the answer to this question.

Please share with us and wins or losses you folks experience.  I will do
the same, of course.

Good luck,
Dan T.