ADSM-L

Hi Debbie,

1997-10-29 09:14:37
Subject: Hi Debbie,
From: Ted Spendlove <SPENDEE AT THIOKOL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:14:37 -0700
Hi Debbie,
I was begining to think that I was the only MVS server out there -:).  I've
also had a problem
getting to 99% cache hits.  I have expanded BUFPOOLSIZE to 32768K and have hit
ratio's in the
mid 98% range.  I decided to stop there since I was also seeing paging on the
ADSM address
space at 4 or 5 pages per second.  I would also be interested in any hints on
how to get to the
99% rule-of-thumb.

Ted Spendlove
Thiokol Corp.

>>> Debbie Yoder <dyoder AT GPU DOT COM> 10/28/97 03:24pm >>>
Hello Everyone,

We are trying to increase our ADSM database cache hit percent. Our ADSM
previously was running with a cache hit percent of only 83.44%. This
percent was based upon a BUFPOOLSIZE number of 10240K. We increased the
BUFPOOLSIZE number (in 11 increments of 1024K) to a current value of
21504K. This new value still only is giving us a cache hit percent of
around 96.13%.

I attended 2 sessions at the IBM International Storage Symposium in August,
and they said to shoot for a cache hit percent of 98 or 99%. Is there any
kind of max limit to the BUFPOOLSIZE specified? or should we just keep
increasing it until we reach 98 or 99%? (we realize that a trade-off is
server memory).

We are running ADSM MVS server level 2.1.0.13.
Any/all help will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Debbie Yoder
GPU Energy