ADSM-L

Used tapes to scratch

1997-10-29 12:16:00
Subject: Used tapes to scratch
From: "Gould, Alicia J CPCT" <Alicia.Gould AT CIGNA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:16:00 -0500
Hi all - -

Novice ADSMer here.   We are running on an NT 4.0 server with a STK 9714
tape silo.  I am confused as to the process to turn used tapes back into
scratch. My understanding at first was that  ADSM did this
automatically, but this does not appear to be true.  As I checkin tapes
coming back from offsite I use this command:

        adsm> checkin libvol libraryname 000005 status=private

ADSM recognizes this, but the volume still shows access=offsite.
Eventually the tape will show as empty but then I get a message in the
activity log that says:

        ANR1423W Scratch volume 000005 is empty but will not be deleted.
Volume access mode is offsite.

I've been told that I then need to change the access mode to readwrite
and the online books say change it to read-only.  Which is correct?
Both appear to delete it from the tape pool.

When should I do this?  Only once I've seen this message in the actlog?
How do I know for sure a tape is empty...I've had people tell me to be
careful, because even though it shows as empty there may still be data
on it.  Or am I missing the boat & there is a way for ADSM to do this
automatically?

Alicia Gould