ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log full

1997-10-24 00:37:40
Subject: Re: Recovery log full
From: Grigory BOUROV <gburov AT UKER.GAZ DOT RU>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:37:40 +0500
Hi , Mark.

No so long ago I had the same problem, but now I 've resolved it.

As far as I know the ADSM database backup coouldn't follow a
management class like other client backups.

To avoid your problem with Recovery log you may upgrade your ADSM server
(it seems to me that from v2.1.9 ADSM has feature to dynamically
increase recovery log spase after crash: if when crush has occured you
still have "Available Space" of recovery log more then "Assigned capacity",
you will be able to extend your recovery log instead of performing database
dump and recovery from dump - it takes not so much time to do ).

You can implement the more sophisticated procedure of database backup as well.
In example I'm implementing the following scheme of database backup:
* daily (automated) full database backup to scratch volume of 3590
device (old volume history information erases manually by my operations staff).
* incremental database backup to _sequental_ disk device (Device Type: FILE)
when neded (automated, driven by DBBACKUP TRIGGER that has set to 50%)
* backup of volume history information and device configuration to floppy
by my operations staff daily

That scheme  prevent me from recovery log overfull due to 3590 device
unavailability (it may be busy with backup and restore operations).

Best regards.
Grigory Bourov                                  GAZ
AIX System Engineer                             Design & Experimental Div.
e-mail: <gburov AT uker.gaz DOT ru>                    Nizhny Novgorod
                                                Russia