ADSM-L

ADSM and 24x7 availability

1997-10-23 11:57:27
Subject: ADSM and 24x7 availability
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:57:27 -0400
Date:     October 23, 1997              Time: 10:03 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
For the past year or so, I have been a "crusade" in my company to gain a new
For the past year or so, I have been a "crusade" in my company to gain a new
"Holy Grail" here - the implementation of a Parallel Sysplex.  For those
non-MVS literate people reading this, a Parallel Sysplex is a collection of
MVS machines that are interconnected so that work can be shared between them.
 In an online systems environment, applications could run on more than one
MVS system, accessing the same data base, so that if one of the MVS images
becomes unavailable, the work is simply routed to the other MVS without
interruption.  (It isn't a simple process, but the important aspect here is
that it is seamless.)

Now this isn't the MVS list, but rather the ADSM list.  So what am I getting
at?

I was wondering if anyone in ADSM development could share any information
about when ADSM might be able to take advantage of a Sysplex environment?

What would I like to see?  An ADSM server that could be run on two different
MVS images within the Sysplex, but share the same DB and pools.  If sessions
are active on one MVS, and it goes away, the session could be reestablished
on the other server without a real interruption to the client - perhaps just
a retransmit of data that hadn't yet been committed to the DB.

Why would I want this?  We have a growing number of long running backups.
These backups usually have short windows (1 hour) to control when they start,
but then run for 3 or 4 hours.  If they are interrupted, they will not
restart when we come back, because we are out of their window, and so they
must wait for the next open window to do the backup.  If I have an MVS
complex that is approaching true 7x24 availability with Parallel Sysplex,
then key applications such as ADSM need to be able to exploit it.

For the non-MVS folk out there, it would seem that a similar enhancement
could be of value to them as well.  For example, in a clustered environment,
you could have ADSM on more than one machine in the cluster and get something
similar.  The same should be true on an SP2.

Does anyone else think this is a reasonable requirement?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.