ADSM-L

Executing commands from the Client Options file

2015-10-04 18:04:42
Subject: Executing commands from the Client Options file
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 10/22/97 5:40PM
Be careful with the idea of multiple policy sets on the same machine - it is
a useful idea, but can be very dangerous, if not done correctly.  Also, be
careful of the difference in levels here - the management class (not the
policy set) is what is important here.

If I can *ASSUME* that you want is to have different types of data to go to
different device types on a regular basis.... then that is a meaningful thing
to do.  You do not "activate" the policy though (this is only done whenever
you make changes to the class).  And what you really must do is assign a
management class (not a policy set) to a set of files.

What you do is set an "include" statement - such as

INCLUDE C:\DATABASE\...\*.* mgmtclass1
INCLUDE C:\PROGRAMS\...\*.* mgmtclass2

This would assign all files in the database directory, including all the
subdirectories to the mgmtclass1 management class - perhaps more DASD
oriented, while the programs will go to mgmtclass2, which perhaps is more
tape oriented.  All other files would then go to the default class.

What you need to be aware of is trying to move a set of files from one
management class to another on some sort of pattern.  An example would be a
change in retention periods for extra files, etc..  Whenever you change a
management class, all files associated with the action will be rebound to the
new class.  This can cause havoc, and exactly the opposite of what was
intended.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com