ADSM-L

cartridge status

1997-10-22 12:41:46
Subject: cartridge status
From: Dave Sanders <dsanders AT MASSMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:41:46 -0400
I get the following message:
ANR1041I Space reclamation ended for volume 717579.

ANR5209I Dismounting volume 717579 (read-only access).

ANR5208I Dismounting volume 082146 (updated).

IEF234E K 410,082146,PVT,ADSM,ADSM

ANR1410W Access mode for volume 717579 now set to "unavailable".

ANR1180W Access mode for volume 717579 has been set to "unavailable" due to

ANR1180W file read or integrity errors.

So, I look to message for help:
help anr1180w

ANR1180W  ACCESS MODE FOR VOLUME volume name HAS BEEN SET TO "UNAVAILABLE"
ANR1180W  ACCESS MODE FOR VOLUME volume name HAS BEEN SET TO "UNAVAILABLE"
DUE
TO FILE READ OR INTEGRITY ERRORS.

EXPLANATION:  During processing of a storage pool volume, input/output or

other errors occur that force the server to mark the volume unavailable for

further processing.

SYSTEM ACTION:  The server sets the volume status to unavailable.

USER RESPONSE:  Correct the errors that set the volume to unavailable, or
use
the DELETE VOLUME command to remove it from the system.

I've looked at the logs and do NOT show any I/O errors (DCK's, EQC's).

So, luckily I'm babysitting my recovery from the disaster recovery copy
failures and I -ACCIDENTLY- see the first set of messages.  Now, I intend
to do an audit of the volume so I change access to reado.  As soon as I do,
my reclemation grabs ahold of the volume.

ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume 717579, storage pool TAPEPOOL
ANR1040I (process number 668).
ANR1044I Removable volume 717579 is required for space reclamation.
ANR5216I CARTRIDGE 717579 is expected to be mounted (R/O).
IEC705I TAPE ON 429,085587,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,DSMVAULT.BFS
ANR0400I Session 1953 started for node PRDSX007 (SunOS).
ANR5323I Assigning volume 085587 to SCRTCH.
IEC271I MESSAGE DISPLAY '085587' ON 429 ISSUED BY JOB ADSM
IEF234E K 42A,062390,PVT,ADSM,ADSM
IEC501A M 430,717579,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,DSM.BFS
ANR1342I Scratch volume 717579 is now pending - volume will be deleted from

ANR1342I storage pool TAPEPOOL after the reuse delay period for this
storage
ANR1342I pool has elapsed.

ANR1041I Space reclamation ended for volume 717579.

ANR5209I Dismounting volume 717579 (read-only access).

Hey, I should be happy, right??  I got the volume back in circulation,,,,
but why.  What if I hadn't stumbled on the alleged failure and sent it thru
reclaimation, again???

O.K.,, we could have some writes to logs explaining in more detail what
type of failure did it -THINK- it got (and a correct explanation would be
more better,,,,,)