ADSM-L

Re: File Ownership

2015-10-04 18:04:42
Subject: Re: File Ownership
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 10/21/97 9:34AM
I should have known the U word was going to get mentioned here sooner or
later..... I'm afraid that I'm in over my head with UNIX (actual that happens
when my feet get wet, but that's another story.....)

If I can still continue to provide some (mis)information here....

How does UNIX (in this case AIX, based on your tag line???) store the
original information on ownership that you are looking for?  Is it kept as
part of the directory structure, or is it in a separate file or structure of
it's own?

As I said in an earlier note, my experience is more in the NetWare area;
there the ownership information is kept in the Bindery.  If something like
this was done there, I would consider restoring the Bindery to get the
original ownership/permissions back....but that has other things I would have
to be careful about as well. (but let's not go there for now).

It sure would be nice if one of the many UNIX gurus out there would jump in
and rescue me, now that I've made a complete A$%# out of myself  :-(>

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    10/21/97 9:34 AM

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply.  But I'll correct you on the ownership/ in otherwords,
the UID & GID of the files.  ADSM must
absolutely keep track of the ownerships, the user & group info, as well as the
permissions, for all clients, otherwise
the product would be useless, as a restoration would restore the files under
possibly some other user id.  I know
that the GUI client of ADSM will give me the option of viewing the Owner and
Group memberships of the files
that have been backed up.
  What I'm trying to accomplish....a junior admin of ours had inadvertantly
chown'd all the files in /home...as a result
we were able to restore ownerships of some of the home directories, but we've
got some directories in home, that
do not have corresponding account references in /etc/passwd, so it's anybodies
guess as to who originally owned
the directories/files.  I didn't want to do an entire restore of the /home
directory, but was just looking to query adsm
for the ownerships/group memberships, and permissions of those files backed up,
and pass that data to a chown-script
that would put everything back on track...
  You know, actually, that would be a VERY USEFUL feature for ADSM, to do a
"restore permissions/ownerships", option,
to correct just such situations.

Thomas F. Sandholm
 Sr. UNIX Administrator
Consumer Driven Solutions Unit
IBM
404 Wyman Street
Waltham, MA. 02254
617-895-2651
sandholm AT us.ibm DOT com

<  previous stuff deleted for brevity......>