ADSM-L

Volume not defined -Reply

1997-10-21 08:11:31
Subject: Volume not defined -Reply
From: David Wilshire <DWILSHIR AT LENSCRAFTERS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:11:31 -0400
Hi, Alicia,

This might not be the ideal way to get offsite volumes back to
scratch, but it works for me.

After doing the "UPD VOL 000013 ACCESS=READWRITE", do a
"DELETE VOL 000013", then do a "CHECKIN LIBVOL
library_name 000013 STATUS=SCRATCH DEVTYPE=tape_type"

DELETE VOL will only work if the tape no longer contains valid
data..  If you're sure you don't want anything on the tape, you can
add "DISCARD=YES" to the DELETE VOL.  Just be careful.

Hope this helps.
David Wilshire, Systems Administrator
LensCrafters, Inc.
dwilshir AT lenscrafters DOT com
"Knowledge Is Support"

>>> "Gould, Alicia J CPCT" <Alicia.Gould AT CIGNA DOT COM>
10/20/97 03:16pm >>>
I have two questions -

1) We are running ADSM on Windows NT 4.0 with a STK 9714
silo that holds
our tapes.  When I do a Q Libvol several tapes in the silo show
the
status as private, last use as blank.  These have all been back
and
forth to the offsite facility.  I want to change the access on these
volumes to read/write to that they can be used as scratch again.
I've
issued the following command:

adsm> Update vol 000005 access=readwrite

I get the following error:  ANR2401E UPDATE VOLUME:  Volume
000013 is
not defined in a storage pool ANS5102i return code 11.

I've looked up this error in the online books, but it just re-iterated
the above message.  I also cannot do a Q Vol 000013 f=d....I get
basically the same message.

Do I need to reformat these tapes to get ADSM to see them as
scratch?
This only happened on 4 out of 40 tapes

2) On two occasions I was unable to Update a tape coming back
from
offsite - one was a copy pool tape and one was a database
backup tape.
I got basically the same error message as shown above in the
previous
question.  I  had no problems updating the tapes to show that
they were
offsite.

Thanks for your help

Alicia Gould