ADSM-L

Re: Directory names with embedded spaces on NT

1997-10-20 08:22:51
Subject: Re: Directory names with embedded spaces on NT
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:22:51 -0400
In <4A256536.00189F1E.00 AT aupozl403.btal.btco DOT com>, on 10/20/97 at
02:35 PM,
   Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU> said:

>I am having trouble, on WindowsNT, restoring directories that have
>embedded spaces in their names, using the command line client. I can
>get it to work using the GUI OK.

>I have tried the following without success:

>dsmc> restore c:\the lazy dog\*.*
>dsmc> restore c:\"the lazy dog"\*.*
>dsmc> restore c:\thelaz~1\*.*

>The only reference that I have been able to find regarding embedded
>space is problems installing the ADSM client into a directory where
>the path contains an embedded space.

Try using the format

  restore "c:\the lazy dog\*.*"

The entire parameter must be quoted, not just a "piece" of it.  The
last format with the twidle will work on Win95 (since Win95 only
emulates long file names but does not actually support them).  NT uses
long file names, and the twidle form does not exist (it is emulated).

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key