ADSM-L

Re: Novell 4.11 restore to Nov 3.12

1997-10-17 09:59:47
Subject: Re: Novell 4.11 restore to Nov 3.12
From: Tom Anstey <tom.anstey AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:59:47 +0100
Yes, XCOPY might be a better option (quicker too!).  You could
however disable compression on the 4.11 server volume and open (and
therefore decompress) the files - perhaps using something such as a
virus scanner and then take another backup that you could use for
restoration onto the NW3.12 server.  Not a tidy way of working
though.

Tom Anstey

> We are restoring a Novell Netware 4.11 directory to a Nov 3.12 machine.
> We got the following:
> 10/16/1997 14:47:45  (TSA312 4.6 333) Attempt to put compressed data on
> non-compressed volume.
> 10/16/1997 14:47:46  ANS4301E Server detected system error
>
> When I read the Getting Started with ADSM NetWare clients redbook, page
> 39, it says NetWare file compression is enabled by default when NetWare
> v 4 is installed.  ADSM will backup the compressed files and restore
> them without decompressing them.  Does this mean I can't restore NetWare
> 4.11 files - that have been compressed by NetWare - to NetWare 3.12,
> because ADSM doesn't decompress them, and NetWare 3.12 doesn't recognize
> them?
> Is XCOPY a better alternative than ADSM in this situation?

Tom Anstey

Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road
Oxford