ADSM-L

Re[2]: ADSM Version 3 announce for AIX, NT, and MVS

1997-10-10 11:12:16
Subject: Re[2]: ADSM Version 3 announce for AIX, NT, and MVS
From: Roger Deschner <U52983 AT UICVM.UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:12:16 CDT
>hmmmm... time for an electronic show of hands! How many listers are
>using ADSM on VM (be it version 1 or version 2)? Will not having V3
>force your company/institution rethink ADSM as your backup
>solution?

>My official title is 'ADSM Systems Programmer' and I just had cards
>made - it'd be a shame to have to throw them away....

>Shy listers can respond to me privately.

>Gretchen Thiele
>Princeton University

We are a LARGE (6 terabytes of data) site for ADSM for VM. We are at V1,
with V2 about to be installed. (Ordered, just received, and sitting on my
desk.)

ADSM was *INVENTED* on VM, as WDSF, so VM is the "native platform" for
ADSM, and it will probably continue to work better there than anywhere
else due to basic design decisions which were made at the very beginning.
Ports of any software always involve compromises. (And, is it any mystery
that this list is hosted on a VM system?)

Without ADSM V3 on VM, management here will look FIRST at solutions which
involve neither IBM hardware nor IBM software to satisfy this need. With
it, it will stay IBM/IBM for at least a while. (You don't move 6Tb of
other people's data lightly - and that is a project I do NOT wish to
be assigned to do!)

Aliases:                  u52983 AT uicvm.uic DOT edu        R.Deschner AT uic
DOT edu