ADSM-L

Restore Only/No Backup

1997-10-09 09:13:17
Subject: Restore Only/No Backup
From: "Moir,Elizabeth" <Betsy.Moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:13:17 -0500
To: OAS     --LMS1

FROM: Betsy Moir (TTCEDM) Ext 85020
      VM Tech Services
      email:  betsy.moir AT abbott DOT com

We have a group of building engineers here who have nine NT servers that
they use to store architectural and maintenance drawings.

All the servers are administered by a an administrator who is responsible for
software, hardware, backups, etc.

Each server has a CADD System Administrator who's job it is to keep track of
all drawings, retrieve backed up and archived drawings on request and a  lot
of other stuff.

We are about to install ADSM on all 9 of these servers.  The server admini-
strator doesn't want the CSA's to be able to back up data, but they must
be able to retrieve it.

A while back I posted a question about whether it was possible to make the
backup function of ADSM unavailable to some but not to others.  There was
no reply and my documentation travels yielded no answer.  That being the
case, I've come up with a scenario I "think" should solve the problem, but
I would like some input as to where the flaws might be in this idea before
I present it as a solution to the Administrator.  What I'm thinking is:

1.  Assign a node to each server.
2.  Assign a node to each CSA.
3.  Grant each CSA node ACCESS authority to appropriate servers.

My ratioinale is:

When initiating ADSM, each CSA would use his/her own options file.  They
would have backup access to all locally attached drives, but if they opted to
backup one of the server drives it would be stored under their own nodename.
If they need to restore files they would have the access permission to
restore any files from the server that they need.  Through education (these
folks are very organized with all this) this would be explained to them so
that they would realize that if they do backup server files these are NOT
considered production versions and basically it would be a waste of their
time.

So - basically they can back up anything they want, but the "production"
versions of these drawings are still under the control of the administrator
but still retrievable by the CSA's.

I know this sounds like a lot of dinking around for control issues, but
this is a very important administration issue with them (sounds to me like
these drawings must have something to do with the invasion of Mars), and
I'd like to find a doable workaround for them.

Sorry for such a long note.  Any and all suggestions, recommendations and
warnings would be much appreciate.

Thanks. Betsy