ADSM-L

Missing PASSWORD file on HP Client

1997-10-08 14:57:38
Subject: Missing PASSWORD file on HP Client
From: Mark Mapes <MWM4%CTS%DCPP AT BANGATE.PGE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:57:38 PDT
Hello,

Every once in a while, but now once last Tuesday and now Today (Tuesday,
October 7), our ADSM backups fail because the encrypted password file
(stored in /etc/adsm) can't be found.  When I look its gone, so I believe
the error message to be accurate.  I check the ADSM server and nothing
seems to be amiss.  This particular node states that the password had not
been changed and still within the expiration's date parameter.  No server
log messages state anything else about this event.

Now the question, what caused this?  The only thing running on the client
is a Sybase backup, using DataTool's ADSM client.  The backups start
normally, but after a few databases, the "error" materializes.  Of course
the same script ran to normal completion the day before, and months before
that, except for the very few other times this has happened.  Now that it
has happened two weeks in a row, we think that this problem needs to be
fixed.  Does anyone have experience with Datatools, HPUX, ADSM and,
especially, a similar missing password file problem?

Any ideas as to "trap" what may actually be deleting this file?

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Mark Mapes
PG&E