ADSM-L

Re: Windows 32-Bit Client and Large drives

1997-10-08 09:26:21
Subject: Re: Windows 32-Bit Client and Large drives
From: Mark Smiles <postman AT EPDS.UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:26:21 +0100
Jeff Connor wrote:

> Would like to ask a question for any of you Windows NT guru's out there.
> Is there a practical
> limit for the size of single drive for a Windows NT server?
>
>  Reason I'm asking is I am backing up a Windows NT 4.0 server using PTF 6
> IP20993 of the ADSM Windows 32-Bit Client to our ADSM 2.1.10 ADSM MVS
> server.  The client has 2 drives, one is 2GB 37% full and the second is
> 12GB at 95% full.  The 12GB D: drive has 180,000+ files.  Is there point
> where, from a Microsoft/performance perspective, you should consider
> creating multiple drives instead having one large one.  My client is
> complaining that it takes 20 minutes to display the directory for the
> entire D: drive when viewing both active and intactive versions of files.
> They could use the command line client to get a little better performance
> but they prefer the GUI.  My client tells me this is the way Windows NT
> works and ADSM should handle it. My experience is mostly with IBM
> mainframes and I don't know a heck of a lot about Windows NT but it seems
> as though there must be a pratical limit or rule of thumb most companies
> follow for the maximum size of a single drive on and NT server.  Anyone
> have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Connor
> Niagara Mohawk Power Corp
> Syracuse, NY

It sounds to me like you need to check the memory footprint using
performance monitor and also what other processes are running consuming
resources(you can also use the task manager to get a rough idea of whats
going on).

Another thing to consider is how the pagefile.sys(swap!)is setup , i.e
is it setup as default size only on the 1st disk and not present on the
on the second .

There are also hardware performance issues relating to what disk
subsystem you're running with.

I have in the past set up a logical drive subsystem(many drives
appearing as one disk) for 130 GB. This was to handle a
multi-dimensional database installation under NT 4. After a bit of
tweaking,this ran smoothly.
Regards
Mark Smiles
--
Mark Smiles  Tel: +44 -(0)1628-587202  FAX: +44 -(0)1628-587221
Mark Smiles  Tel: +44 -(0)1628-587202  FAX: +44 -(0)1628-587221