ADSM-L

Re: PRPQ for STK

1997-10-06 18:12:03
Subject: Re: PRPQ for STK
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 18:12:03 -0400
There is a product called ADSM Enhanced Server that will let you talk to
STK silos.

We have 3  STK 9710's  with both 3490-compatible drives and DLT 7000's.
The 9710 is driven by the STK ACSLS software, at level 5.1.1.

We have the Enhanced ADSM code rel. 2.1.5.8 installed.  It provides the
interface between ADSM and the STK 9710.

You need to have both ACSLS and your ADSM server installed and working.
Then you install Enhanced ADSM on top of the regular ADSM code.

What the Enhanced ADSM installation does is provide some device drivers
and puts a front end on the ADSM dsmserv module.  The front end starts
up an ssi process to communicate with ACSLS whenever you start dsmserv.

The README file for the Enhanced server provides very detailed
information about how to configure the 9710 drives as an ADSM library
once you get Enhanced ADSM installed.  There is a lot to read, but we
had no problem at all getting it to work.

The Enhanced ADSM code is provided by a third party company called Open
Microsystems.  I have found their tech support to be VERY responsive and
very helpful.  Contact them:

Open Microsystems. (512)450-0900  (USA)
Contact via email:
chuck_dennison AT openmic DOT com

Also,

The new release of ADSM (2.1.5.13, I think) also has some direct support
for the STK 9710.

I am not entirely sure of the differences between using the IBM support
instead of the Enhanced Server.
It may depend on which STK library you want to use.

I think with the IBM direct support you need device module support 4
instead of device module support 3, you don't get support for 3490
compatibles, and you can't talk to ACSLS.  But that is just hearsay, I
don't have exact information.

I suggest you research both possibilities, both the direct support from
IBM, and the Enhanced Server support from Open Microsystems.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you might think."

    - Scott Adams/Dilbert