ADSM-L

Re: ADSM for OS/2 Server Version 1 Support for Exabyte Mammoth 8-mm Tape Drives

1997-10-03 20:56:54
Subject: Re: ADSM for OS/2 Server Version 1 Support for Exabyte Mammoth 8-mm Tape Drives
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:56:54 -0400
In <86256525.005C440A.00 AT mutualofomaha DOT com>, on 10/03/97 at 12:13 PM,
   Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM> said:

>We're running ADSM Server for OS/2 - Version 1, Release 2, Level
>0.9/1.9 under OS/2 Warp Version 3.00.  I understand that ADSM V1 is
>unsupported by IBM.

>We currently use Exabyte 210 tape libraries loaded with Exabyte 8505
>8mm drives.

>We are considering an upgrade of these drives to Exabyte Mammoth
>(8900) 8mm drives.  This will also require a firmware upgrade to the
>existing Exabyte 210 libraries.

>Does anyone know if ADSM V1 for OS/2 will support the Exabyte Mammoth
>drives?  Are there any limitations?  Is anyone aware of any problems
>with these drives (by themselves or with ADSM V1)?

I believe the support of the tape format options is provided by the
adsmscsi device.  You "should" be able to run the latest version of
the driver with 8900 support and specify "FORMAT=DRIVE" on the
devclass definiton.

I wouldn't guarantee it, however, and you may also have to use EXPERT
or the Mammoth monitor (from Exabyte) to lock out density changes on
the drives so that ADSM doesn't go bananas and thinks everything is
OKAY with the drives.

This is the method that you use to get Eliant drives to work with
ADSM, even though they are not officially supported.  Load the right
drive firmware, and use the drive monitor to set the drives to "busy"
mode rather than tag-queueing, lock the density, and disable the
reporting of the extended drive submodel codes.

Keith Medcalf       (416) 410-5791       http://www.dessus.com/ IBM
OS/2, LAN Server, DB2, TCP/IP, DOS, Windows 95,  Windows NT
 Finger or email kmedcalf-pgp AT dessus DOT com for my PGP Public Key