ADSM-L

Re: Client data directly to tape

1997-09-30 12:04:59
Subject: Re: Client data directly to tape
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:04:59 -0700
Brad Diefendorf wrote:

> Does anyone have ADSM configured with only a tape pool such that all
> client data goes directly to an auto tape library?
>
> I have a tape library with 2 drives and am wondering if and how well
> this environment will work.  Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

We started our conversion to ADSM using an old and slow server,and two
manual DLT 4000 tape drives, writing all data to tape. It works well, as
long as you don't have too many clients, but if you're using scheduling,
you have to be careful to allow enough time between client backups so
that you don't have more sessions running than you have mount points.