ADSM-L

Re: admin id for ADSM

1997-09-18 02:06:37
Subject: Re: admin id for ADSM
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 01:06:37 -0500
     and I know this is probably mentioning the obvious but the console
     being discussed IS NOT a "dsmadmc -console" it refers to starting adsm
     with just "/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv" rather than
     "nohup /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv quiet &"

        under MVS from a system console you use
     f adsm,blah......

     and talking about installing / reinstalling / recovering adsm under
     MVS... PLEASE no one do as I did one time...
     the job where you initially tell ADSM of the data base & log files...
     //SETUP EXEC PGM=?????,PARM='4 dbfile1 dbfile2 dbfile3 dbfile4 1 log1'
     (or is it log files first then db files...anyway)
     It was during a disaster recovery test and we had, like, 6 db files
     and 3 log files... naturally with names like
     PRD.ADSM.DB.DBFILE01 & PRD.ADSM.LOG.LOGFILE01  (and 02's & 03's...)
     I spent about 2+ hours trying to figure out how I was gonna fit some
     200 characters in the damn parm='...'  and once I got all the
     continuations right MVS came back with ... Oh, all your continuations
     are correct now BUT ITS STILL TO LONG !
     Just define one DB file & one log file, start ADSM, then use :
     f adsm,define dbvol....
     f adsm,define logvol...
     f adsm,define dbcopy...
     f adsm,define admin...
     f adsm,grant auth...

     once I pulled my head out I had ADSM up and running in a matter of
     seconds !  and if you are going to restore the db from backup tapes,
     just do the dbvols & logvols... you don't need to define any admins

     later
          Dwight

     PS hope you got a laugh out'a my experiences... I still do to this day

Author:  ADSM-L at unix,mime/DD.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:    9/17/97 3:42 PM

On AIX, which is what we are on, the default admin after initial
installation is the 'server_console' which is essentially the ADSM prompt
that one gets at the ADSM console. There is no need for 'logging' on or
password entry. From the prompt, one would then define additional admins
with whatever privileges that one wishes them to have. Afterwards, then one
can log on to ADSM via the admin client as any of the defined admin ids. I
don't know what platform you are on, but I suspect that this is fairly
consisitent across all ADSM server platforms.

At 02:53 PM 9/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Sharon,
>
>Thanks for the reply.  I'm am getting kicked out at the point where all
>I've entered was the id.  I am never asked for a password.  We've
>experienced this same problem before when the ADSM install does not
>create the database or log volumes for us and we end up creating them
>manually.  Our workaround was to increase the filesystems that hold
>these volumes and reinstall ADSM.  In this case, however, I want to
>avoid reinstalling the software since we have some configurations that
>could take some time to recreate.
>--
>Bryan C. Baars                          CASE Corporation
>UNIX Administrator                      Racine, WI
>

>Sharon Stidd wrote:
>>
>> >From my past experiences, the admin id was always created for you.  Is
it kicking you out right away, or asking for a passwd and then kicking you
out?

>> I cannot use the "admin" id when logging into the
>> dsmadmc administrative client.  Shouldn't the dsmserv install command
>> create that id?  Do I need to create an admin id manually as well and
>> how would I get into the administrative client to do this?

>>    Part 1.2       Type: application/ms-tnef
>>               Encoding: base64

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.