ADSM-L

A request - the sequel

1997-09-16 19:57:26
Subject: A request - the sequel
From: Martha McConaghy <URMM AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 19:57:26 EDT
Well, I guess I need to watch where I'm walking next time, as I've stepped
in IT this time.  %-)

I did not mean to suggest that you should delete relevent text from your
reply, nor adversely impact the thread of discussion.  Richard Simms, I
think, stated it better than I did.  Including some text, as necessary, is
fine.  However, when one person posts a note that is over 500 lines long,
98% of which is old notes, I think that is excessive.  First of all, it
makes the note very hard to read, thus hiding your own message.  Secondly,
it causes a hardship to those who have limited mailbox space.  This is a
very busy list as you all know.  Dozens of such long notes merely fills up
someone's mailbox, making it impossible for them to get later postings.  Over
time, I have received numerous messages from people who have gotten off of
ADSM-L because of this.

Finally, if you read the list via the daily digest (as many do), then the
extra text merely gets redundant and its easy to skip the parts that are
important.

All I ask is some consideration for your fellow list subscribers.  If all
the headers, or notes are not necessary for your message, then please delete
them.

Jerry, I was not aware that the web page was now asking for a password.  I
don't maintain that program, and the person who does rarely tells me what he
is doing.  Also, I have been working evenings lately (getting students
hooked up to our network), so he may not have had a chance.  Normally it should
only confirm that your address is subscribed to the ADSM-L list, so this
may be a bug.  I'll send him and note and see what's going on.

Martha