ADSM-L

Re: System queries

1997-09-15 15:36:33
Subject: Re: System queries
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:36:33 -0500
     WHAT?

     You're thinking 'I don't remember seeing the original post on this!'

     Congratulations, you've been sucked in!

     The point here, IMHO, is that unless the reply contains some/all of
     the original text, you'd be hard pressed in following a 'discussion'
     thread.  Stating replies only, tends to be rather useless unless you
     have some accompanying text to verify/validate/compare it with.

     Usually, I eyeball my inbox and can piece together thread based solely
     on Subject lines.  It doesn't always work.  I have seen many differing
     types of subject lines which are all basically responses to something
     posted.

     Every so often, I (and I think most of you have) run across a subject
     line that doesn't quite fit the normally expected reply types.  And I
     think that most of us have run across replies that don't seem to
     actually fit the posting, until some additional clarification is
     provided.

     And what about new listserv joins.  I really wouldn't be too impressed
     by a well publicized discussion group I joined if the postings were
     limited to:

     "Yes, and directory permissions too."   <-----   Gee, that's nice!
     Wonder what they're talking about???

      Martha, I think that Marist does a wonderful service providing the
     listserv to the ADSM community, and I understand that *occasionally*
     some postings get lengthy, but that does seem to be the exception, and
     besides, everyone knows (or should) that the answer is "IT DEPENDS"

     My blurb for the (mon)day,
     Al Barth
     Zurich Kemper Investments

Subject: A request

I've noticed lately...

<text deleted>

A note posted to the list yesterday....

<text deleted>

However, I'm requesting....

<text deleted>

I'm sure everyone on the list will be grateful to you

<text deleted>

Thanks.

Martha McConaghy - ADSM-L list owner