ADSM-L

Re: clearing stg pools

1997-09-15 09:22:31
Subject: Re: clearing stg pools
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:22:31 -0500

> I have been in touch with level on  at IBM and they can not tell why my
> disk storage pool will not migrate 100% to tape.  Are server is AIX
> and we set the high and low threshold to zero. ALL pools migrate to
> tape completely except one. This is a Novell stg pool and it is not
> CACHED. Right now it is at 57.1% util 0.0 migr 0 high migr  and 0 low
> migr. Any ides why this 57% will not migrate??

If you have 0.0% Migr, then you DO have all of the info on tape.

The Migr heading stand for MIGRATABLE data.  Which means data that ONLY
exists on the stgpool in question, and not on the next or subsequent
pools.

For instance, each morning, I make sure my disk pools migrate down to about
5%.  The pool will show 95-99% utilized, but will show 4.5-5.0% migr.  This
means that 5.5% of the stgpool is held by data which is resident in ONLY
this primary pool, and would be lost if the pool were removed or damaged.
(Copy stgpools notwithstanding.)  This allows for fast retrieval of materials
on the disk pools, but leaves them open for immediate reuse.

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================