ADSM-L

A strange weekend.....

1997-09-08 14:54:19
Subject: A strange weekend.....
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 14:54:19 -0400
Date:     September 8, 1997             Time: 1:20 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
I had a strange weekend - what was it Jerry Garcia used to say "What a
I had a strange weekend - what was it Jerry Garcia used to say "What a
strange journey this has been"?

We began having TCP/IP troubles on Friday - we could establish sessions, but
data transfers would hang after a few bytes were sent - they would timeout
either as a communications timeout, or an idle wait, depending on when TCP
decided to stop.  This didn't clear until 2:00 AM, when they bounced TCP/IP,
but operations didn't recycle ADSM, so we were out of the water until mid
morning Saturday when I happened to check it.

Nothing much unusual there, but here is what had me confused.  Sometime on
Friday, all of our Admin schedules stop executing - no indication as to why.
Around noon on Friday, I had operations recycle ADSM, which went
successfully.  When it came up, an admin schedule that was in the middle of
its window kicked off, executed, and reported back a successful completion.
I thought the problem was solved, but later Friday, I checked again, and the
admin scheduler was out again.

I cannot think of any relationship between  TCP/IP communications, and admin
schedules.  Does anyone have any ideas?

When I discovered the problem on Saturday, I again had them restart ADSM, and
again it seemed to take off - reconnected to TCP/IP, and admin schedules
seemed to be working.  Later that evening, though, not only had I lost
communications again, but console traffic seemed to be gone as well.  Since
we had an IPL scheduled for 7:00 AM Sunday, we decided to let it go, and
since the IPL, all seems to be fine.  We did have a bad tape - actually 2
tapes with the same TSN, but that didn't seem to contribute to this problem.
This was all under release 12 of the MVS server - We are now under level 13,
as it had been one of the planned upgrades on the IPL on Sunday morning.

Anyone else see strange things like this?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.