ADSM-L

Re: OS/2 HPFS backup and restoring to NT NTFS?

2015-10-04 18:05:23
Subject: Re: OS/2 HPFS backup and restoring to NT NTFS?
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 9/4/97 5:41PM
Good -  glad to see someone is awake out there.

Actually you are both right and wrong.  It is logical that a platform cannot
restore a file system that it does not know about - as an extreme example -
you wouldn't "expect" a NetWare machine to understand and support a
Macintosh.

The key here is what the platform will support.  And in this case, (NT) both
ARE supported.  Prior to NT V4, HPFS is/was a supported File System, and
therefore could be handled easily.  NT 3.51, however, was the last release to
support HPFS, however, and when you install NT 4.0, it wants you to convert
all HPFS file systems (to either FAT or NTFS).  The client, however, still
understands the HPFS format, and you can indeed restore HPFS to NTFS.

There was a lot of discussion on this subject a while back - many of the UNIX
users wanted the same thing - to be able to restore files from an AIX machine
to a Sun machine, for example.  Doesn't work that way.

Hope this helps....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    9/4/97 5:41 PM

I think that ADSM has not cross platform restore.  It's logic because
different platformas have different file structures.

__________________________________
>Subject: OS/2 HPFS backup and restoring to NT NTFS?
>Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
>Date:    9/4/97 11:14 AM
>

 >     Can I backup files on an OS/2 HPFS client and restore them to a NT
>NTFS client?

Rafael J. Goldschmidt
Rafael J. Goldschmidt
Elcano 5039 - (1427) Buenos Aires - Argentina
Telefonos: (54-1) 553 9909 / 421 4782
E-mail (Internet) : rafagold AT cano.com DOT ar