ADSM-L

SAP, DB2 API passing parameters & versioning

1997-09-04 05:14:48
Subject: SAP, DB2 API passing parameters & versioning
From: Wayne Gorton <wayneg AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 05:14:48 -0400
Howdy all,
I have a requirement to store 7 versions of files & 4 weekly incrementals.
What I mean here is, say I do a backup everyday. After 7 days I have 7
versions.
We have had a problem where we needed to restore an tablespace greater than 7
days ago.
If we have a weekly incremental that kept 4 version, I'd be able to restore,
say Sundays backups up to 4 weeks ago. This has a lower requirements in tapes
than keeping 28 versions.
If this were just ADSM this would be an easy task, however the DB2 API does the
backups & passes them to ADSM.
I'd like DB2 to be able to pass ADSM the parameter of which management class to
use. Trouble is I've RTFM & I still can't find it. Maybe it doesn't exist. Does
anyone have a work around. I don't want to ASSIGN DEFMGM, this would affect
more than the DB2 backup & I'm not sure it'd work anyway.

Bottom line is there a way to pass a mgm class from DB2 to ADSM?

Role:                               Unix System Administrator
Style:                              The Thinking Man's Clown
Name:                               wayneg AT au1.ibm DOT com
Life:       "Imagination is more important than knowledge"   Albert Einstein