ADSM-L

adsm newbie having problems with tape drives

1997-09-03 15:30:21
Subject: adsm newbie having problems with tape drives
From: Stephen Kneuper <kneuper AT ARLUT.UTEXAS DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 14:30:21 -0500
Hello ADSMers,

I'm testing the Solaris version of ADSM.  Scrounged together a Sparc
10 with a few gig of disk, plus two Exabyte 8200 tape drives.
Installed Solaris 2.5, with ADSM 2.6 from the WWW site, downloaded two
weeks ago.

The tapes work fine from Solaris with tar and ufsdump.

When I try to define the manual library to ADSM, I get the error message...

* * * * * start of output
tarpon.arlut.utexas.edu# dsmadmc
ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Administrative Interface - Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.7
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1996, All Rights Reserved.

Enter your user id:  admin
Enter your password:
ANS5100I Session established with server ADSM: SunOS

adsm> define drive manual8mm drive01 device=/dev/rmt/0
ANR8420E DEFINE DRIVE: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive DRIVE01.
ANS5102I Return code 3.

adsm>
* * * * * end of output

The 8200 drives are shown supported in the drive lists.  I'm at a loss
to get any further.  Any suggestions?  Time to check the IBM WWW
support site...

--steve kneuper
university of texas at austin
university of texas at austin