ADSM-L

Novell long filenames

1997-09-02 17:57:02
Subject: Novell long filenames
From: Ron Heflin <RON.X.HEFLIN AT X400GW.AMERITECH DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:57:02 -0500
Has anyone been having problems with the way ADSM handles long
filenames (MAC, OS/2, WIN95) on Novell servers?

While the user may use a long filename for their file it seems adsm only
uses the 8.3 dos filename when backing up the file.  We have had
situations where users create directory names that are the same names as

Novell translated long filenames.

The long filenames in raise other problems for us.  How do locate a file
in ADSM for restore when the user only knows the long filename?  In
other words, how do you correlate the long filenames to 8.3 names that
you can use when restoring the file?  How can we find the file in the
ADSM database and find the file to see if it even exists in the database
under the same scenario?

TIA

  Ron