ADSM-L

Re: Netware backup slow

1997-08-29 11:27:36
Subject: Re: Netware backup slow
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:27:36 -0400
Mike,
        Here's a couple of things to check..

1) Make sure you're running a current version of the TCPIP NLM.. There's
a TCPN03 and TCPN04 package on Novell's FTP site that I think is more
current than the one that comes with 4.11.  Note - I've heard of
problems with TCPN04 so you might want to go with TCPN03 or get some
further info from Novell on this.  We've seen the same problem you're
having and applying TCPN03 took care of it.

2) In SYS:/ETC/TCPIP.CFG, add the following statement..  This prevents
Netware from breaking packets down to 536 bytes (Max Segment Size = 576
bytes - 40 bytes TCPIP header stuff) when going to a remote network.
Might or might not be applicable in your situation...

        TcpMSSInternetLimit Off

3) In your DSM.OPT, check for the TXNBYTELIMIT and PROCESSORUTILIZATION
parameters.  You can set TXNBYTELIMIT up to 25600.

4) On your ADSM server, check the TXNGROUPMAX parameter.. this works in
conjunction with the TXNBYTELIMIT parameter on the client and is
documented in the ADSM manuals..

5) Do you have ADSM compression enabled ?  If so, try turning it off and
see what happens.

6) On the Netware server, load monitor and check the stats on your
network cards... check for errors or a significant number in the No ECB
Available field.  You might need to kick up the packet receive buffers -
we've seen this happen after upgrading our clients to 100 Mb Ethernet
cards.

7)  Are you binding TCPIP to it's own NIC or binding both IPX and IP to
1 card ?  If TCPIP has a dedicated card, try swapping it out for another
one.  We've had situations where thruput was fine when a server was
receiving data but was very slow when sending data - this went away when
we replaced the NIC.

Good luck...
Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com