ADSM-L

Data restore after a disk crash.

1997-08-25 19:20:42
Subject: Data restore after a disk crash.
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:20:42 EDT
From: Mike Knight, IBM GS Central, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:13:33 -0700, Wilson Steve asked:

>There were two file systems ( user data ) on this disk which were
>using 80% of the 2.5GB drive.

>Now for the strange part:    When we try to restore the data to
>the new disk drive in a 3GB partition we run out of space!!!

>The data is being restored using the -todate, -latest and -inactive options.

It sounds like you are getting deleted files restored as well as what you
want.  If you keep many days worth of daily backups and users create
temporary, and other, files each day with different names, you will get
all the deleted files when you do a restore with -latest or -inactive.
For instance, if file JOE was deleted last week, and FRED the week before,
you will get both of them restored.  The -fromdate option won't help since
you won't restore files backed up six months ago and never changed.

This is a design restriction that will resolved in ADSM Version 3 with Point
in Time recovery.  That will allow recovery as the disk looked that day
without the deleted garbage.  Until that time it is much harder.  You can
restore to a much larger disk and prune the deleted files, restore parts at
a time and prune in between, etc.

     Mike (Just another user waiting for Version 3) Knight