ADSM-L

ADSM NT Webshell Client

1997-08-21 09:52:48
Subject: ADSM NT Webshell Client
From: "Barton, Pina" <pbarton AT KMART DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:52:48 -0400
Has anyone had experience with the ADSM NT Webshell client.  We are
beginning our NT ADSM Client implementation and would like to use the
Webshell client so that the Help Desk can perform file restores from
their remote workstations (i.e. without having to walk up to the NT
server console in another room).

Here's what I understand we have to do to make this work:

1.      On the NT Server console, log on with an NT account (this is the
physical console of the NT
        server which will be the ADSM client).
2.      Bring up a DOS virtual machine (I understand this is necessary
because the Webshell
        applet is 16 bit)
3.      Start the Webshell applet (C:\adsm\baclient\webshell).
4.      Once the Webshell applet is running, someone at a remote
workstation (like the Help Desk) can
        use the Webshell interface to perform restores.  This account has to
remain logged on at all
        times.

        Now my questions:
1)      Is the procedure above the only way to invoke the Webshell
applet?
2)      I understand the NT account described above has to be logged on to
the NT server console
        (i.e. it can't be logged on from a remote workstation attached to the
NT server).  Is this
        true?
3)      I'm told while the NT account is logged on the console (running
this Webshell applet), you
        cannot log on any other NT userids on this console (for example, if
an NT administrator
        walked up to the box and wanted to log on their own userid to perform
certain functions).  Is
        this true?
4)      Can we run the Webshell applet as a SERVICE on the NT server,
rather than having to
        logon to an account to run it under?
5)      If the NT server crashes and restarts all services are
automatically restarted.  Is there any way
        we could automate re-logging on this NT account and restarting the
Webshell applet, or will we have
        to do that manually?

        Many thanks.  Our NT administrators don't like the idea of running
the Webshell client interface because
        of the restrictions above, yet we can't have our Help Desk going into
the computer room to log onto the
        NT console in order to perform a restore, so I'm trying to determine
if there is a way around the issues they
        are raising.   Any help/advice/direction is greatly appreciated.....
   THANKS!