ADSM-L

problems with full restore of nt system

1997-08-21 09:03:49
Subject: problems with full restore of nt system
From: Alex Mounayar <Alex.Mounayar AT SMED DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:03:49 -0400
Our nt lan group has been testing full restores of nt systems.
A few problems were found after the restore.  We are most concerned
with the problems with MSoffice.  Has anyone else seen these problems
and have any ideas how to correct them?

Thanks,

Alex Mounayar, Shared Medical systems

The report I recieved from our nt person follows:

Hardware
Compaq 6000
320MB RAM
1 - 4GB Disk Drive
CD-ROM Drive
3.5" Floppy Drive

OS
Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (SP3)

Installed Software
MS SQL 6.5 Server
MS Office95
TNG - CA Uni-Center
McAfee Virus Scan
Time Serv Service
ADSM

I created two test users, two test groups, two test directories and two test
shares. I backed up the PC using the GUI interface. I backed up the registry
and the hard drive. I then did the following:
Formatted the hard drive.
Reinstalled NT to a directory named NTTEMP.
Reinstalled ADSM.
Restored using the GUI interface.
Copied the registry files from the ADSM.SYS directory.
Rebooted the PC.

After rebooting, I had to login as the local administrator and remove the PC
from the domain and then re-add it back to the domain. Before doing this the PC
could not login to the domain. Here is a list of some other problems:
One of the groups had no members.
MSOffice95 no longer worked.
The drive label was blank.

I tried this test again but this time I used the command line to backup the
registry. The results were the same except for the groups. This time all of the
groups came back.

In both cases, the MSOffice95 files were restored but the program groups and
the icons were not. When I tried to run Word from the \MSOffice\Word directory,
I received an error that Book Shelf could not be found.