ADSM-L

Problems cancelling expirations

1997-08-13 09:05:44
Subject: Problems cancelling expirations
From: Jim Bootz <bootz AT ADC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:05:44 -0500
On occasion, we've had to cancel an expiration process because it appears to be
the one thing that's slowing down or holding up a backup. So, this is really
about two problems. The first, that one particular client node's expirations can
make the whole ADSM server hang up, can at least be partly explained by the fact
that the troublesome node is a Usenet news server and I made the mistake of
backing up the spool file system (thousands and thousands of little files) for
the first couple of weeks that I had the backups running. Now, it's expiring
those little files. This will pass. But, why should it take a little over an
hour from the time I issue the cancellation of that expiration process before it
actually does cancel? Once it does cancel, backups resume normal operation.

Does anyone else see this same problem?