ADSM-L

Novell 4.x NDS backup/restore

1997-08-12 12:29:16
Subject: Novell 4.x NDS backup/restore
From: Steve Moore <SWMGR AT MIAMIU.MUOHIO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:29:16 EST
I have a VM 2.1.09 server on VM/ESA 1.2.2 and a ADSM/Novell client 2.1.07
on Novell 4.11.  Our Novell directory has about 70,000 objects.
I have been trying to back it up for about a week now.  When I started
out I was able to back up about 2000 objects per hour.  Now I can back
up about 7000/hour.  At this rate it will take 10 hours to back up
our NDS and that is unacceptable.  I followed the recommendations that
Andrew Raibeck and Trevor Foley discussed for Novell on this list back
in April.  I have a lightly loaded VM system and we don't have problems
backing up files but the NDS is a different story.

We were  able to  back up  the NDS with  a Novell  nlm from  Seagate software
called Backup exec in 2 hours and  11 minutes. This product said that it used
171mb of  storage for the  backup. It also used  the same Novell  file server
that the  ADSM/Novell client is running  on and the same  tcp/ip segment etc.

So far I have made the following changes to ADSM on Novell:
Added TcpMSSinternetlimit off to tcp.cfg although I must admit that I
 have no idea if I put this line in the proper spot.  I just made it the
 first line in the file.  Tcpip still works on the Novell server.
In dsm.opt set
 TXNbytnelimit 25600
 TCPWindow 64
 TCPBuff   32
 Slowincr  NO
 Compression OFF

On VM increased:
 TXNgroupMax 75 -> 256
 MoveBatchSize 64 -> 128
 MoveSizeThreshold 2 -> 10

I have an incident open with IBM on this.  My next step is to do traces
and fill out a performance report.  But I thought I would try here first.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Steve Moore - Software Coordinator
              Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
              (513) 529-1452