ADSM-L

Re: 2.1.0.13 --> 2.1.5.13 ?

1997-08-11 13:39:09
Subject: Re: 2.1.0.13 --> 2.1.5.13 ?
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:39:09 -0700
Tom,
We've been running the 2.1.0.x server on AIX 3.2.5, 4.1.4 and now 4.1.5 for
some time. My understanding of the difference is that the 2.1.0.x version
is process oriented as it was originally developed for 3.2.5 and the
2.1.5.x version is thread oriented.

At 06:08 PM 8/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Operating System:       AIX 4.1.4
>ADSM Server:            2.1.0.13
>Hardware:               SP2 Wide Node, 256MB RAM
>Database Size:          22GB, 4GB recovery log
>
>For some unknown reason we have been under the mistaken
>impression that the 2.1.5.x version of the AIX server was for
>multi-processor (SMP) environments, and the 2.1.0.x version was
>for uniprocs. Today we learned that 2.1.0.x was for AIX 3.x and
>2.1.5.x was for AIX 4.x.
>
>Two questions come to mind before we change code.
>
>1) does anyone have any experience or warnings about moving an
>   AIX ADSM server from 2.1.0.x to 2.1.5.x ?
>2) will this alleviate any of the *major* performance issues
>   that we experience in our environment (migration transfer
>   rates of < .5GB/HR from fast DASD on one SCSI bus to 3590
>   tapes on a different SCSI bus, e.g.)?
>
>Any tips, suggestions, or warnings are greatly appreciated, as we
>would like to make this change as quickly as possible.
>
>Thanks. -- Tom

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.