ADSM-L

-todate and dateformat

1997-08-06 15:13:58
Subject: -todate and dateformat
From: Michael R Vogt <vogt AT AUK.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 15:13:58 -0400
Hi y'all,

Today I had the opportunity to restore a filesystem to the way it was
3 days ago. I did:

      restore -subdir=y -todate=08/03/1997 -latest /* /tmp/a/root/

After the restore was complete, I looked at some of the files and
noticed that many had modification dates of Aug 4th.

Well, after scratching my head for quite some time I realized that
what I wanted was:

      restore -subdir=y -todate=08/03/97 -latest /* /tmp/a/root/

Subtle difference ;-) but it sure did work much better!!

So my questions to anyone who cares to enlighten me:

1. Is the date format a function of the server or the client?

2. Do all clients require the same date format?
(I have many clients: AIX, IRIX, SunOS (4.1.3-2.5), HPUX, Win95, WinNT, SCO.)

3. Why does the dsmc help have examples which specify the 4 digit year?

          Restore -FROMDate=03/26/1995 -TODate=03/31/1995 /home/jones

        The date must be in the format you select with the DATEFORMAT
        option.  For example, the date for date format 1 is mm/dd/yyyy,
        which is the American English standard.  If you include
        DATEFORMAT on the command, it must precede FROMDATE and TODATE.

4. And why in options.doc is there NO "dateformat" for mm/dd/yy?

       One of the following date formats:

       1 Displays the date in this format:  MM/DD/YYYY
           This is the default.

       2 Displays the date in this format:  DD-MM-YYYY

       3 Displays the date in this format:  YYYY-MM-DD

       4 Displays the date in this format:  DD.MM.YYYY

       5 Displays the date in this format:  YYYY.MM.DD

Thanks!

Michael