ADSM-L

Oracle backups

1997-08-05 13:21:00
Subject: Oracle backups
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:21:00 -0700
We are backing up several Oracle databases using the methods
prescribed in the ADSM Redbook, and this morning I noticed
something that I didn't think should/would happen.

One of our datafiles "changed" during back up and so the send was
subsequently retried. I was under the impression that the
"alter tablespace begin backup" command set the datafile such
that *no* changes were made to the file.

The datafile in question is 1GB in size. Is it possible that the
'dsmc archive' process got to the file before Oracle had finished
quiescing the datafile? If so, is there a way to hold the archive
process until the file is completed quiesced? It's too wasteful
of valuable network resources and processor time to send an extra
gigabyte of data every day.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

 -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   DBA, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>