ADSM-L

Re: database growth - how do you handle this?

1997-08-05 11:56:37
Subject: Re: database growth - how do you handle this?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 11:56:37 -0400
The entries for expired files get cleaned up and reused when you run
EXPIRE INVENTORY.
Check your server activity log to make sure it is happening.  If you
issue the Q OPT command, you will see a value of 24 for EXPInterval if
you are set up to make it happen automatically.  Some sites set
EXPINTERVAL to 0, then issue the EXPIRE INVENTORY manually or via
administrative command.

But, don't be surprised if the data base just gets huge.  The more files
you have on your clients, the more data base entries you have.  Some
people on this list have reported having data bases in the 10GB range
(yep, that's GIGABYTES).
My DB is only 3GB, but is already larger than my disk storage pools.

Below is a reply from someone else on this list that I've saved; it
gives real numbers for data base size.  Good luck!

***************************
                                Every version of a file requires
approximately 500-600 bytes of database
                                space.  Each additional copy of the file
(i.e., cached copy or copy
                                in a copy storage pool), requires an
additional 150-200 bytes of database.
                                Additional database space will be
required to allow for partially filled
                                pages and other overhead.

                                If you can estimate the total number of
versions for all files, these
                                numbers should allow you to estimate the
total database size.

                                Dave Cannon
                ADSM Development