ADSM-L

Netware Parallel backup/restore questions:

1997-08-04 11:06:34
Subject: Netware Parallel backup/restore questions:
From: Eric LEWIS <Eric.Lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:06:34 CDT
     Hello:

     I have noticed two basic approaches to parallel backups and restores
     for Netware clients described on this forum.

     One is from Dwight that suggests doing several concurrent backups from
     one node using a different node name for each volume on the node,
     thereby enabling you to do concurrent restores with no tape contention
     (collocation must be on).

     The other is from Andy Raibeck suggesting the use of separate storage
     pools for each volume, but running in one process using one node name
     (using include statements to spec a management class for each volume,
     with each management class pointing to its own storage pool).

     Can these two ideas be combined?  Is there any reason I can't run
     multiple concurrent backups on one node, with each session having its
     own node name, and each session backing up one volume, each volume
     having its own storage pool (management class)?  If I understand this
     correctly, this would enable me to run not only parallel restores, but
     parallel backups as well.  We have trouble getting our large nodes to
     complete in a night, so I have incentive to speed things up in both
     directions.

     Larry Schiebel
     University of Wisconsin