ADSM-L

Re: Charging for ADSM backup services

1997-07-30 04:20:35
Subject: Re: Charging for ADSM backup services
From: Francis Maes <fr.maes AT CGER DOT BE>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:20:35 +0100
Bonjour,

Ray Mamaradlo wrote:

> We are looking at alternatives to running ADSM; which we currently run on
> the mainframe.  We are looking at moving ADSM to Unix; possibly investing
> in a Magstar.  We are expecting management to ask for cost justification
> and we are concerned about recovering the cost of the expenditures.
>
> Question...How to you recover the costs? Does anyone have a charge back
> mechanism in place for recovering costs for backing up distributed
> services?

We are also looking to a solution to bill the used ressources to the
different ADSM clients. We are running the server on MVS.
SMF records: records only information on "what goes on the line".
  not usable for billing.
Query OCCupancy: Fast but imprecise. Totalized by nodename. Not usable
for billing.
Query Filespace: Gives the capacity and %usage of each client's file
space. Not usable for billing.
Show volumeusage <nodename> + Query CONtent (for each volume)
Format=Detail:
  Show is an undocumented command -> will it be supported in the future?
  You may also initiate a Q CON for each volume in your Storage Pools
but you need then to sort the result by node and filespace.
  very slow, very-very big output file (f=d required to get storage
usage for each   file) and, last but not least, it is an OUTPUT LIST.
Just the kind of thinks that are changing of format on each new release.
  Heavy to manage but maybe usable for billing purpose.

Have a look to the ADSM V3 pre-announce. They speek about an SQL
language to address the ADSM DB. This may be a better solution to
develop an efficient billing system.

A bientot,

Francis.

Francis Maes                    ASLK-CGER Services GIE  - Belguim
ADSM Server Administrator       Rue Fossé-aux-Loups, 48 - 1000 Brussels
Storage Management              E@Mail: fr.maes AT cger DOT be